Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Something completely awesome in the house this week!

I might have mentioned my daughter, Angie. Well, Angie decided that she would send off for the 23andme DNA screening about a month ago.  

Low and behold, she got her results back this week. What an enlightening week it has been.  I am so jealous I can't stand it. I want to know about my genetic makeup now too. 

Angie was willing to share a few images for this blog. Thanks, Angie!! 

Angie was born with almost white hair and blue eyes with white flecks.  At about six years old her eyes changed into the most unusual shade of green with blues, golds, and a starlight pattern. Very unique and very pretty.  When she received the results it showed this totally unique eye feature and provided an image of her eyes. They were spot on. Down to the shattered glass starlight feature. 







The results were (smallest number shows the greatest genetic factor)showing the Scottish, English, and Irish we expected, but there was even more unexpected ancestry detailed. She has the red hair gene, we suspected that due to her ability to totally pull off the red hair color that the salon carries. The Orcadian that is listed is what they are tracing back to the Vikings that inhabited the Shetland Islands. I totally sang Hungarian from My Fair Lady when I saw that she had a speck of Hungarian. (yep, sang it again)



What was more unique was that they captured the sequences that included the Heermans connection that came from my own Great Grandfather's Mother, Mahala Violetta Heermans Dunning. It is so fascinating and exciting to watch the lines unfold.  

A little piece of history for those that find this as interesting as I do.  This is from Geni.com and is about the ship that brought my 9th great Grandfather, Focke Jansz to America from Holland: 
DE BONTE KOE (THE SPOTTED COW)
Sailed 16 April 1660 from Amsterdam, arriving New Amsterdam
Captain Pieter Lucasz
Source unless noted otherwsie:Lists Of Inhabitants Of Colonial New York by Edmund Bailey O'Callaghan Chapter entitled Early Immigrants to New Netherland 1657-1664
Mentioned on the passenger list from De Bonte Koe
Focke Jansz, farmer from Drenthe, wife and 7 children: 19, 17, 13, 11, 9, 3 yrs old, and nursing child [NWI]

Then comes the unusual parts. The fair skinned Norse looking daughter that has 1.6% Iberian and 1.5% Italian, greek and Mediterranean DNA.  To be fair, this might account for her sister, Casey's ability to tan evenly all summer while Angie gets a sunburn while hiding under a parasol. 



Genetics is really great and a little unsettling when you see the percentages for certain diseases and conditions that you hope are not as likely as the DNA strand would suggest.  But DNA analysis is not for the faint of heart. It is for those that bravely want to see from where they hail.  




For the last hour, while I was making this post, I spent on Geni.com realizing that the man that was my 9th great grandfather's father was only 4 years older than his son.  OOPS.  So I got caught up in repairing that little snafu. 

Like I said, Genetics and heredity are not for the faint of heart.  

I have been thinking this would be the perfect birthday/Christmas for the Mama that has everything.  I as a courtesy included a link for my kids so they can conveniently order above. Feel free to use it yourself. 😁

So take a moment to share with me in the comments what you think about her daring sampling and your own journey into DNA screening.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me!