Friday, July 7, 2017

Not Fond of Chocolate by Brenda Scruggs a Friday's Fun and Family Friendly Guest Post!


Chocolate could be considered a child’s best friend, but for me, I wasn’t
that fond of chocolate while growing up. I remember me and my sister would
ride our horses to the store (no, I’m not that old) (laughing) we rode
horses all through our childhood. It was our time to enjoy the outdoors and
that tasty treat. Except for me, chocolate wasn’t my go-to snack, I would
rather grab a bag of chips. Crazy right?

A few years ago, I was at a dinner and someone asked, “Do you want a piece
of fudge?” I said, “I’m not that fond of chocolate.” The lady looked at me
a little weird. I thought then and there, that would make a good novel. So,
voila, The Chocolatier was written. But, since then, I have developed a
moderate taste for the confection.

When I researched the creamy substance, I found interesting segments on
the bean. Did you know that Christopher Columbus not only discovered
America but a boat load of chocolate? Columbus was the first European to
encounter cacao aka chocolate. August 1505, on his fourth voyage to the
America’s, he and his crew came across a large dugout canoe near an island
off the coast of what is now Honduras. The canoe was the largest native
vessel the Spaniards had seen. It was “as long as a galley,” and was filled
with local goods for trade – including cacao beans. Columbus had his crew
seize the vessel and its goods. Columbus claimed the concoction was a
“divine drink which builds up resistance and fights fatigue. “A cup of this
precious drink permits a man to walk for a whole day without food.”
Columbus, son Ferdinand wrote about the encounter. He was struck by how
much value the Natives placed on cacao beans, saying, “They seemed to hold
these almonds (the cacao beans) at a great price; for when they were
brought on board ship, I observed that when any of these almonds fell, they
all stooped to pick it up, as if an eye had fallen.”
They soon realized that the cacao bean was used as local currency.
So, the history of chocolate, says that it is a worthwhile confection that
is delicious and valuable.



Blurb:

Chocolate has a reputation of healing a broken heart. Swirl through the
pages of this sweet romance of two unlikely people, one a chocolate heir
and the other not fond of chocolate, to see if chocolate holds true to its
reputation.
Charles Riviera an heir to a chocolate empire was perfectly content as
Director of Marketing over Riviera Chocolate until he literally bumps into
Charlene Callaway. Would she melt his heart like heat melts chocolate?
Charlene Callaway finds herself far from home after finding her fiancé
with another woman on their wedding day. The move had its challenges
especially when she goes to work for a Chocolate Company and her new
handsome boss.
When Charlene is abducted, her only thoughts were of Charles, The
Chocolatier.
Contemporary/Romance/Suspense




Newly released is Brenda's Contemporary/Suspense Michaela’s Justice. This book is on kindle and in paperback.

Blurb:
Detective Michaela Kendall’s abduction at the age of fourteen left her with a burden of becoming a self-appointed protector. The brutalization of her capture left her without any memory of the horrible ordeal except for terrifying dreams of Atelic Horton, her captor. When he escapes from prison, she knows it’s her duty to capture him. Circumstances throw her together with Marshal Ray Steele, an encounter she wanted to forget but it seems he didn’t take too kindly to a gun being pointed in his face. His rough and tuff cowboy ways are known for upholding the law to any measure within the bounds of Justice. 
When Michaela and Ray set out to find the prisoner they soon find out they need each other but the journey is full of twists and danger. Ray proves to be her protector on more than one occasion. Somewhere along the way, Michaela sees him in a different light, that not all men were the same. 
But, lurking in the shadows, Atelic watches from a distance ready to make his move.

  





Bio
I studied journalism in school which stirred my imaginations into putting
words to paper. I live in Tennessee. I enjoy watching television with my
husband, eating Mexican food and scribbling my thoughts down on paper.

You can find Brenda here: 

Brendascruggs.wordpress.com
Facebook: brenda Scruggs -  author
Instagram: brendascruggs

Thank you for sharing your post with us, Brenda, you are welcome to share anytime. I would love to hear more about your horse rides.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious post. The funny thing is that when I was a child I did not love chocolate either but now I crave it. Anyway, loved the post. Thanks for sharing. I would love to hear your thoughts on my last post.

    www.photosbycris.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me!