Friday, April 14, 2017

In the Zone by Saralyn Richard as Friday's Fun and Family Freindly Guest Post



In the Zone
Guest Blog by Saralyn Richard


Anyone who has dedicated himself to writing a book knows that it takes large portions of inspiration, perseverance, and focus to bring a story to life. The act of writing a book requires many hours of concentrated effort. Sometimes an author is able to concentrate so fully on the setting, characters, and plot of a story that he is transported to “the zone.”
What is this mystical “zone” authors talk about? It can be likened to a runner’s high, a surgeon’s precise focus, an actor’s immersion in a role. It happens quite fluidly, without intent. It has happened to me several times when I become completely engrossed in the story I am telling, so engrossed that I could not tell you whether it is night or day outside, where I live, or even who I am. Instead, I am inside of a scene. I am not just one of the characters—I am all of the characters. I am the pictures on the wall, the rugs on the floor, looking in all directions and observing, no, participating in all of it.
Naughty Nana by Saralyn Richard guest post on The Path of the Writer with Sojourner McConnell

When I wrote Naughty Nana, a children’s picture book about my wild and crazy Old English sheepdog, who “just wants to have fun,” I went into the zone so deeply that I became Nana. Since she is the narrator of the book, I had to know what she was thinking in that goofy canine brain of hers. I had to walk on all fours and communicate with nudges and rollovers, digging with my paws and jumping with exuberance. I didn’t actually crawl on the ground, but mentally, I was in her body and mind, envisioning the world from her point of view. When I was able to do that, I did my best writing.
Writing an adult mystery novel, Murder in the One Percent, required a different form of empathy, but again, I had to get into the heads of several diverse characters. One night I was so deeply into the zone that the plot ran away with me, taking me to an unplanned event involving a horseback riding accident. This event turned out to be pivotal in the overall plot of the book, and I owe it all to being in the zone.
How does one go about reaching the zone? There is no surefire route. We hear of writers who are transported by alcohol or drugs, but I wouldn’t recommend relying on those. I have had some zone-like experiences when dreaming or exercising, times when my mind empties itself of distracting thoughts and allows me to focus on my story. I tell my creative writing students to write as if they were the actors in the screenplays of their stories, fixed in their settings, driving the action of the plot. Then, if they are lucky, the zone will take over to transform the writing from good to great.
Does writing from the zone make a difference in the quality of the book? I’ll let my readers answer that question. Naughty Nana is available at www.palmcirclepress.com, and Murder in the One Percent, published by Black Opal Books, will be available later this year. For more information check my author website:  www.saralynrichard.com or contact me at saralyn@saralynrichard.com.
Author Saralyn Richard's guest post on The Path of the Writer with Sojourner McConnell

Thank you to Saralyn Richard for participating in Friday's Fun and Family-Friendly Guest Posts. Saralyn, you are welcome to participate any time. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice blog, Ms. Richard! Thanks, Sojourner, for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments. Come back often and see what is new and who is guest posting on Fridays.

      Delete
  2. Great job, Saralyn! I'm quite familiar with "The Zone" only here at my house we have two writers so my daughter travels to Jenniferland and I get lost in Mommieland. Don't you just love it when the characters take over, like they did with you in "Murder in the One Percent"? I find that challenging but so exciting. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for for taking the time to read and comment. As writers, you and your daughter can feel free to offer a guest post of your own. Contact me at vickitgoodwin@gmail.com if you are interested. Thank you for the nice comments. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice blog post! I love the zone. I am in it every time I write, because I never know what is going to happen. The innocent planter in the corner can suddenly become a weapon. I love it! #DaisyDukes'nCowboyBoots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a fan of family friendly posts, that I wanted to share this space for writers to share their journey, books, and thoughts. I hope you will come back and see what all we offer on Friday. As a writer, feel free to offer a guest post of your own. Contact me at vickitgoodwin@gmail.com if you are interested. Thank you for the nice comments. :)

      Delete

Share your thoughts with me!