Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Bedtime Chats: A summer ritual

The end of the school year means the seven-year-old moves into Grandma's bedroom for a few months.  With this summer cottage atmosphere, there are long talks into the night.  Here is tonight's conversation between Sarah and Grandma.

G. Lets go to sleep. We have to get up early.

S. Wait! What's your favorite fruit?

G. Bananas.

S. I knew you were going to say that. Mine are grapes.  What's your second favorite?

G. Grapes are my second favorite. What is your second favorite?

S. Bananas! What's your next favorite fruit?  I hope it isn't that fruit that stinks!

G. What fruit stinks? I think my next favorite fruit is Watermelon.

S. Same.

G. What fruit stinks?

S. I can't think of its name.  What is your least favorite fruit?

G. Limes, they are too sour for me.

S. Same.  Well, actually my least favorite is grapes with ranch.

G. Laughing out loud, eww grapes with ranch?  You've tried that?

S. Laughing louder, Yes! It was the worst. What's your next favorite Fruit?

G. Mango. I love mango.

S. Oh no, Grandma, that's the fruit that stinks.

G. No way! Mangos smell good! But I also love Kiwi.

S. Same.  Wait, what do they look like?

G. Green with little black seeds.

S. Oh yes, I like them but I do not like avocados.

G. You don't like avocados?

S. Or guacomole, it is made from avocados.

G. I love apples, applesauce, and apple butter!

S. Applebutter? What is that?

G. It is a sweet thing your Aunt Casey knows how to make.

S. hmm

G.Goodnight Sarah! I love you!

S. Goodnight Grandma. You know I love you, right?

G. I know you do! You know I love you too, right? Sweet dreams!!

Nodding, Sarah grabs my hand and sleeps holding it until I got back up to write this.

Summers are good.  Much better than grapes with ranch.










6 comments:

  1. So cute! Grapes with ranch noooo - I'll pass ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you! I will not be trying these. AS finicky as she is, I can't believe she even tried it.

      Delete
  2. Loved reading this! Wonderful memories being made!

    And broccoli with ranch, but then we're moving to the vegetables category... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broccoli was mentioned last night. It is about the only vegetable she loves with Ranch! I love Brocoli is a favorite of mine too!!!

      Delete

Share your thoughts with me!